Admission Criteria for IITs & NITs

Admission to all the engineering colleges and most of the private colleges in India is through a combined entrance test as well as respective university level or college level entrance test of a particular college. Most of the entrance exams are based on class XI and class XII syllabus of the central board or the state board. However, there are some entrance exams which are based on class XII syllabus of their respective state boards.

Admissions Criteria including Normalization and Weightage for JEE(Main) Exam 2013

    • Admission to NITs, and IIITs,  will be based on 40 % weightage for performance in Class XII board or other qualifying examinations marks (normalized)  and the remainder 60 % weightage would be given to performance in JEE (Main) and a combined All India Rank (AIR) would be decided accordingly.
    •  The policy could also be adopted by other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs) and participating Institutions.

    No of attempts in JEE(Main) Exam

      • The number of attempts which a candidate can avail at JEE(Main) shall be limited to 03 (three) uniformly for all the candidates in consecutive years.
      • The candidates passed +2 exam in 2011 or 2012 or appearing in +2 in 2013 are only eligible to appear in JEE(Main)-2013.
      • Candidates passed +2 in 2010 or before or appearing in 2014 are not eligible to appear in JEE(Main)-2013.

      Procedure for selecting the candidates who are eligible to appear for JEE (Advanced) – 2013.

      The following procedure will be used for selecting the 1,50,000 candidates who will be eligible to appear for JEE (Advanced)- 2013 based on their performance in JEE (Main) -2013.

        • 50.5% of the 1,50,000 (75,750 candidates) will be taken from the top rankers of the Common Merit List (CML) of JEE (Main). 27% (40,500), 15% (22,500) and 7.5% (11,250) candidates will be taken from the top rankers of the category rank lists of OBC-NCL, SC and ST, respectively. The candidates figuring in the category rank lists will be those who do not figure in the 75,750 candidates chosen from the CML.
        • 3% of the candidates selected within each category will be those belonging to PwD (Persons with Disability) sub-category, who figure in the respective rank lists of JEE (Main).
        • Only the candidate’s aggregate marks in JEE (Main) will be considered and no tie-break mechanism will be implemented at this stage. This will make the list of candidates eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced)-2013 slightly more than 1,50,000 due to bunching of candidates with the same aggregate marks at the bottom of each category.

        No of attempts in JEE (Advanced) Exam

          • A candidate can attempt JEE (Advanced) maximum two times in consecutive years.
          • Candidates who had attempted IIT JEE 2012 for the first time (having passed QE in 2012) can appear in JEE (Advanced) - 2013, by qualifying in Paper - I of JEE (Main) - 2013.
          •  Those who attempted IIT-JEE in 2011 or earlier are NOT ELIGIBLE to appear in JEE (Advanced) - 2013.